Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Back to School


Traditionally, I would have gone on a celebratory 6o mile bike ride through the mountains & in my version, it is always sunny. That is how I like to spend the first day back to school. It's a token to me, after spending the summer busily trying to entertain two cherubs. But not this year. No, this year I spent my non-sanctioned holiday on the couch. Ironically eating Reese's Pieces & watching several episodes of Prison Break, numbed with pain killers. It's 2 1/2 weeks since my crash & I cannot believe that I'm still down & out. I've never been "out" this long. During both pregnancies I was active, working & walking up to delivery. 2 weeks after my babies were born I was back in the gym, lifting & riding the bike. This is just crazy. The pain still burns in my neck & arm, I'm bound to a  sling & restricted to do anything FUN. Each day, I tell myself, just lay low, you'll feel better tomorrow. But tomorrow comes & I don't feel much better.The year of 2012, my 2 beautiful daughters start 10th & 4th grade. Yes, they are growing up. Long gone are the toddler  & baby days, and that's quite alright with me. I enjoy people who are independent, even my own children. Ha! Guess the effects of no exercise for 2.5 weeks is making me a little grumpy?


But, I realize how lucky I am. I have 2 great girls, a husband who loves me & a chance to recover from what could have been a lethal accident. So, truth be told, as much as I would have loved to have gone on that bike ride in the sun, couch surfing today wasn't all that bad. There are many miles to be ridden in the future once I'm healed. I'm thrilled that I was there to walk Emma into school on her first day and to pick her up after school & hear about everything that went on. Being "mom's taxi" today, as we drove from school to home, back to school, to the library, to school again, to swimming, back home....you get the picture...well, it's a blessing. One that was almost taken from me when I crashed. Thank the Lord for all these blessings. I am happy to be alive. I am regretting eating this Reece's Pieces though.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! Still praying ... was wondering how you are doing today and saw the pics of the girls going to school... It was sad for me to see her in her class with the other girls like Mady, Lauren and Taylor (?) Audrey (and I) will miss 4th grade ... and 5th and so on with the girls she's cared about since kindergarten and some since she was just 2 years old. Hard to move on and transition into something new ... especially when it wasn't expected. We definitely saw our future going a lot differently than what it is (in Nebraska and not in Tennessee anymore), but all in all, I know God is IN each day. Still trusting Him. Hang in there, get better and get back to running and riding and swimming and all the awesome stuff you do. And if you don't want your reek's just send them my way! Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessica.
    Emma has had a good week, she says she's "not sure" about her teacher yet :). I am sure your transition is difficult. But like you said, God has a plan & we should trust Him. So I will keep your family in my prayers as well. It will get better. Good luck.
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete