Sunday, August 19, 2012

Whines & Wailings of an Injured Triathlete, 3 weeks post clavicle fracture

I can't even do yoga, because to achieve balance you need 2 arms!
This week, I chose to skip the Chris Robinson Brotherhood concert that I had been looking forward to for months because I felt like I wasn't ready, my body needed rest & I was in pain. If I can't go to a concert, then I'm not ready for much of anything. It was a hard decision & one I regret. Boohisss.

I feel like a wuss. If I compare myself to practically everyone who
 has anything to say about their experience with this injury, I'm "off the back". In cycling terms it means I'm in last place or trailing behind. But just to document my progress, here's where I'm at.
 I'm up to walking 1 hour a day without difficulty. I can drive now & do OK grocery shopping. But, by 1 oclock in the afternoon, I find myself in dire need of a painpill & a nap because the upper left quadrant of my body aches, throbs & burns. Today is the first day that I have put on a sportsbra, the incision is still rough & a bra strap digging into it is near unbearable. 
This is much improvement from a week ago, but friends would have me believe that racing a sprint triathlon next week should be doable & that trainer sessions & treadmill workouts, perfectly fine. So, I'm sitting here looking at my bike mounted on the trainer waiting for me, taunting me, daring me. I can hear a small voice telling me to get back on the horse, or bike in this case, but a stronger feeling doesn't want any part of it, because of the pain, along with the dreadfulness of the fact that it's the trainer. So, I think for today, my bike can sit there, until tomorrow when I will face it again.

The doctor would have me in a sling doing no kind of activity for 3 more weeks. Some think this is very conservative, including me. But, from my years of working in the medical field, I know my injury was pretty severe as far as clavicle fractures go. Right now what hurts the most is the deep tissue in my back, around my scapula, the left shoulder joint & my neck, from wear the muscles were ripped apart. My spine is completely out of line, causing my hips to hurt when I walk & my low back is constantly in spasms. But my chiro won't touch me until my surgeon clears it. Understandable. 
The road rash is closed up, but there will be scarring. 
The dog owners homeowners insurance is covering my accident, holding them liable for their dogs being out. At least we have that.

I'm not working, because I can't use my left arm. Light house work irritates it greatly, so thankfully the kids are helping out more than usual.
 So why do I contemplate pushing the activity level?
1. A years worth of fitness is fading as I type.
2. I'm afraid to gain weight. My metabolism is used to burning 2-3 workouts a day. Ugh. Plus the 2 races that have already been paid for looming ahead.
3. I'm a driven individual. Sitting idly is not something I'm comfortable with. This week I've completely redecorated our living room, the bonus rooms next.
4. I thrive on sunshine, fresh air & going anaerobic. Without these things, I don't feel like myself.

 Ok, so that sucks, but I'm a survivor & Im blessed. Things are going to continue to improve & Im going to continue to heal by doing things the way Im supposed to. To start with, gonna go to the gym & sit on the stationary bike & see how that feels. Maybe tomorrow I'll mount Bones (my Argon 18) for a ride & say a prayer of thankfulness.
If you have anything helpful to offer about this type of experience, I would love to hear about it. Comment or email me, I could use it.
Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Robyn,
    Mike McQuaide here. Thanks for the nice comments re: my blog and your interest in following it--I'll follow yours now too!
    Bummer about your clavicle fracture, surgery, pins and screws. (And about getting hit by a car too!) Ugh.
    Answers (and more) to your questions: I did stationary bike 5 days after surgery, eliptical trainer at one week, spin classes at three weeks, very very easy outdoor ride at 3-1/2 weeks, got in some 10-mile hikes at 3 weeks, running at 6 weeks, road riding at 6 weeks also. Looks like I did a century ride at about 10 weeks. Probably more than you need but there you have it.
    Try to be patient. You'll be back in no time. You're recovery will be surprisingly quick!
    Good luck!
    McQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info McQ. Im beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. My ortho apt. is a week from today, hoping he gives me the green light to GO.
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Robyn, saw your comment on my blog, figured this was the easiest way to respond. I'm no doctor, but reading your story and seeing your x-ray, I have to say it that it looks like your injury was more dramatic than mine was. I didn't have any trauma from my "crash" other than the broken bone. So, maybe take my recovery with a grain of salt.

    I went back and checked out my log. I had my surgery on June 21, for 8 days, I didn't do anything. After that I was on the trainer pretty much every day. 12 days post surgery, I got on the treadmill and did some run/walking. I started really slow and for the next 10 days, was doing 1-2 miles every other day (or so) really easy. I ran outside for the first time on July 14 (3.5 weeks post surgery). For the next two weeks, I SLOWLY increased both distance and frequency and by mid-August, I was up to a long run of 8 miles.

    I biked a lot during the late summer and early fall and didn't run as much as usual. By mid-September I was back running my "normal" volume.

    It took me longer to get back to decent swimming, which I would think is the main thing that might affect Augusta. It sounds like your training was going well before the accident, and if you can keep cycling and maybe the elliptical? you won't lose too much fitness.

    Be patient. I barely even think about my surgery anymore - everything is back to normal. It will happen, you just need to give it time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Josh for your input. Appreciate your comments. I hope to get back out there very soon.
    Take care, Robyn

    ReplyDelete