Friday, August 10, 2012

Hit By a Car, Survivor & Cycling Advocate

                                           The year 2012 started with a BANG!
     That is, I was struck by a car while riding my road bike on Jan 28. It occurred around 4 pm, a teenage driver claimed he "never saw" me because the sun was in his eyes. He hit me from behind, front right bumper hit my left leg & my left elbow shattered his passenger mirror, flipped me several times before I hit & slid on the pavement of the road. Thank GOD there was not a car behind him, or I would have been dead. This was a close enough call.
     The driver did stop & lucky for us both, I was not severely injured. Police & EMS arrived, I refused to go to the hospital, in obvious shock, stating "Im a nurse, Im ok." Stephen, My husband was riding a bit behind me & rode upon the scene & assessed the situation. He called my folks to give me a ride home. Meanwhile, he discussed the situation with the cop. It was highly probable that the youth had been texting while driving, thus did not see me. The cop Cleveland, Tn cop "Walker" refused to check the youth's phone, claiming this was an "accident", & "no harm was done".
                                                                    WHAT?!?!
MaryJane's last dance, pre-crash.
What about the 3 foot law! It was obviously broken. It definitely felt like an injustice that this police officer was advocating for the driver & not the victim of the "accident". It was discovered that the youth's brother worked for the Cleveland, Tn police also. Hmmm, wonder if that had anything to do with anything>? But, being in the shock that I was, I chose not this battle & went quietly home to heal. My bike (Mary Jane/ Cervelo S2) was totalled though. Thankfully, insurance covered the materials that were damaged. My injuries were minor; road rash & bruises, so I didn't have to miss work. I was even able to ride the next day. Looking back though, that was lunacy. But, I had some races coming up...
    The crash did have some residual effects on me physically. I will forever have a scar on my ankle where the road took the skin several layers. My sleep was disrupted after the crash too, not being able to sleep for months took a toll on my recovery & my fitness.
    However, I still have all my bodily functions & another day of life, so I consider myself very lucky. What I would like to come out of the experience, is awareness. For people to be aware that there is a 3 FOOT LAW & that if it is not upheld, consequences follow. Though the cop did nothing to enforce the law, I wish he had, in order to raise awareness for fellow cyclists & the drivers who share the road.
    For drivers, please remember that the cyclist you see on the road, is not just a nuisance, they are someones mother, a father, a son or daughter. We are people, human beings with purpose & passion. If I were an animal, I bet you would swerve to avoid hitting me, instead of intentionally buzzing me or getting angry that I exist. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment