Friday, August 10, 2012

2012 Race season in a nutshell

2012 planned to be a year of hard training with a few races thrown in. With the help of my coach Jamie, from Hub Endurance, I mapped out the year to include 2 70.3 triathlons with 10 bike races in between, finishing the year with the NYC marathon in November. This master plan was the framework for a 2 year build into next years Ironman season.

1st race on Blue Triad SL (photo by Tim Anderson)
A Mystical podium sweep
The season started with the Tundra Time Trial in North Ga on Feb 18. (only 2.5 weeks after being hit by the car). Results were 1st in cat 1-2, but I was disappointed in my time, capable of much better speed on a good day. It was the first of many races to come with my Mystique teammates.

A ski trip for spring break did no favors as far as bike legs go...just sayin, not recommended.

 Thanks to Hub Endurance & a recent crash, I would be racing on 2 new bikes. An Argon 18 Gallium Pro is my road bike of choice & a Blue Triad Sl my time trial & triathlon bike.
I named it "Bones"

The race season got underway in March & April. I participated(though never felt super strong) in Tour of Tuscaloosa, Hell of the South, Aaron Schafer Memorial RR & TT leading up to my "A" race of the year, the Mountain Madness 70.3 triathlon in Ellijay, Ga on May 6.

Returning to the sport of triathlon after years of bike racing is something that excites me, but running can take the snap out the bike legs, which explains why my race performances were less than stellar. But this race report deserves its own post, so, It will be included in a following post. I did get on the podium though, 3rd woman overall.

Mach 10 hardware
After a busy first half of the season, time off was relished. The family enjoyed a vacation to the beach, I worked on trying to find my running legs & spent time working & hanging with the kids. Not one to sit still for long, I raced the Mach 10 sprint triathlon on a whim, (last minute decision). Its like the oldest running triathlon in the south or something & I had never raced it, but wanted too, so I did. Results could have been better, walked away with 5th female overall & 2nd in AG. It was FUN.
A few more bike races followed: the Cookville crit & RR with more mediocre results. Bike racing is the most humbling sport. Not to torn up about it though, because I have bigger long term goals & these races are just for fun.
Plans to finish the season with Oak Ridge & River Gorge cycling omniums, as well as Augusta 70.3 were halted last week when I T-boned a big dog on a training ride. That too, will get it's own well deserved page.

No comments:

Post a Comment