Sunday, November 6, 2011

22 day countdown

November 6, 2011
Life has been kind of busy, blogging has not been top priority. Guess that is what Ironman training does, life becomes fight or flight & only the most important of tasks in life get done. Juggling being a mother, working as an ICU nurse & training has not been "easy". Oh, and helping to manage our women's bicycle race team Mystique is and added ingredient to my hectic life.
Things that have been learned since beginning this journey:
1. Get training done early in the day, you never know what the day is going to throw at you later...
2. Must have a good recovery product after the more challenging workouts. I prefer Hammer recoverite. I can tell an obvious difference in level of fatigue after workouts when I forget to use it.
3. Zoot recovery tights are a leg saver. 12 hour shifts at work feel like 140.6 sometimes & I wear these under my scrubs. Usually have to run >2 hours the next day & the legs always feel 3X fresher than when I don't wear them.

The last long ride is in the books, nutrition finally dialed in. I had been experimenting with Infinit, but experienced G.I blowup after 3 hours on the bike, numerous times. (this is with no protein in the mix). So, on advice from my coach I decided to go with the old standby, powergel & Ironman perform & water.
After 2 years of competitive bicycle training & racing, that is what I have always used, in centuries, road races, mountain bike races & such & it has always worked. Not sure why I thought Ironman required special nutrition & went astray, but I am glad to have my nutrition for the big race figured out. Let's hope it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment