Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 11

 Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Today that meant getting my long ride in miday. Normally one would prefer to rise early & get it done prior to the heat of the day. But life doesn't always care about one's "training" schedule. So, @ noon, with the blazing ball of fire on our backs, temp 100 degrees, humidity 80%, J. S. & I headed out on our TT bikes for a 3.5 hour ride. I tried to drop my core temp before the ride by drinking lots of fluid, forgoing coffee today for a frozen strawberry lemonade from McD's pre-ride.
 We were ok for a while. One of my favorite roads that I have a love/hate relationship with is Cohuttabeaverdale road. I love it one minute & hate it the next. No shade, black ribbon through chicken farm country. It kicked my butt today. @ the 2 hr mark I pulled up under a tree for shade on the verge of heat stroke. Nauseated, crosseyed & spent, yet 1 1/3 hrs left to go. Not used to spending this long on my Uberhund bars, the muscles in my neck & back were rebelling. To make matters worse, I had no Endurolytes.
But, there were clouds on the horizon, so we rode towards them in hopes of finding cooler temps & before long we were riding headlong into a storm. I said a little thank you prayer. Even though I was already broken from the heat, the relief of the storm gave me just enough of a break to finish our ride. J.S. was in the same boat. We were suffering!
Once back to the car we quickly changed for our transition run. Ooops! I forgot my running shoes! Oh well, I ran in flip flops.
Whew! We did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment